Saturday, January 26, 2013

Darkhouse # 1[ Experiment in terror] - Karina Halle

0


Pages: 346
Published: March 10th 2012 by Metal Blonde Books
Genre: Horror/ Paranormal
Format: Kindle Ebook
Acquired: Amazon Kindle
Date Finished: 26th January 2013

Synopsis:
With all the vampire, werewolf and faerie books out there, it's easy to become numb to all things supernatural. The antidote? Darkhouse introduces two real and unforgettable characters, Perry Palomino & Dex Foray, amateur ghost hunters who are "attractive, relatable and oddly heroic," "flawed but loveable," "slightly crazy" and just the most endearing pair to ever tackle the paranormal...just don't call them normal. Darkhouse is a thrilling and sexy new take on concepts like Supernatural and The X-Files, bringing a breath of fresh air to a genre that has been inundated with the dead.

***Darkhouse and the Experiment in Terror series is a horror/romance for mature audiences only. Readers who are easily offended by harsh language should think twice about reading it.***

Quick Thoughts: Deliciously addictive and refreshing Horror


I first heard about Darkhouse through a fantastic vlog review from a fantastic booktuber Holly. Over the past few months she has recommended some stellar books, some which I still have on my kindle, but with an order to dare to try Darkhouse I sat on the couch with the intention of reading a few pages and just like Holly I didn’t really get up for quite some time. I had no idea how fan-girlish I would be when it came to reading this book, but my god did I love it a lot.

From page one till the end I was immersed in Darkhouse. There was one time I remember being at 18 percent and getting right into it, only to look at the clock and realize I was already at 40%. Darkhouse is utterly addictive reading, riveting and compulsive. And as a lover of all things supernatural I was surprised by just how fantastic this book was. It gave me the feeling of watching a movie, non-stop, thrilling and at times utterly freaking creepy [and it does take a lot to scare the shit out of me] There were a few times when I had to take a break to wrap my head around what was happening and I certainly was torn at reading it during the night. Talk about eerie ladies and gents, but I just devoured every moment of it.

Karina Halle has a superb writing style that is so easy to read, deliciously atmospheric and a little snarky which is also something I enjoy. I love to read about characters who are flawed and Dex and Perry have some serious flaws, but they definitely have their strengths and together are a powerful read. One of the best parts was being able to relate to Perry. At 22, she is still looking for something to help identify herself with society and unsettled in the choices she has made. But she is such a strong woman inside, and I could relate to her struggles with life in general her sometimes rocky self-esteem and her need to shake things up. And Dex, well what can I say about Dex but – YES…in my bed now please you sexy beast [hehe] He was one heck of a character with a likable personality and I enjoyed the banter between him and Perry. His humor made the book even more enjoyable and played well for my attention.

Of course there is a cast of characters on the sidelines like the sassy sister Ada and her mixed cultured parents, not to mention a frantic boss and a super creepy woman who keeps popping up and who would frankly make me shit my pants if I ever saw her, set alone heard her speak. They all added to the fun and eeriness of the story and made Darkhouse a more engaging read.

Overall I loved Darkhouse. There was never a dull moment for me, and even though I read it sporadically over the past few days all I wanted to do was continue reading it. I cannot wait to read the next installment Red Fox and anything else by Karina Halle. I can see her fast becoming a new favorite author. If you have read this let me know your thoughts. I would love to talk about the book.

I am giving this:
★★★★★
Delicious Dex Foray’s
[Generous scoops]

0 comments:

Post a Comment