Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Last Beginning - Rachel Firasek

4


Firstly. Many apologies for this review coming a little late.


The Last Beginning – Rachel Firasek

Published: February 2012 by Entangled Publishing

Format: Ebook

Genre: Fantasy/ Adult/ Romance

Date Finished: 1st March 2012

Acquired: Net-Galley – Thanks to Entangled Publishing.

Synopsis:

Though she’s always hated being a phoenix, Sadie has to admit immortality has its advantages. She’s seen and done more in the last 150 years than she’d ever dreamed of, but she can’t get past the fact that Osiris has done nothing but manipulate her and her fellow phoenixes. Or that, when her last incarnation as a phoenix comes to a fiery end, the fire slowly begins to consume her body.

Sun god Osiris is ashamed of his role as ruler of the Underworld, but unless he can figure out how to save Sadie, that’s exactly where she’s going to end up.

Permanently. Terrified he’s going to lose her, he takes her on a hunt for The Book of the Dead, which is the only way he knows he can save her—even if it means she’ll hate him forever

Review/ Thoughts:

It’s been a short journey, but it feels much longer and now this wonderful series has come to an end. I was initially sent The Last Beginning to begin with from Net-Galley and the premise excited me to no end. I’d never really read about Phoenixes [apart from Harry Potter] and in an adult novel with romance, well it had be sold. If you have not read my review on the first two books in the series check them out, but here is my review on The Last Beginning.

The Last Rising - Book One

The Last Awakening - Book Two

For those of you who have followed my reviews, you’ll know that I am a big fan of Rachel’s opening chapters; this one was no different and was my favorite of the three. Going back 150 years we get a glimpse into Sadie’s past and the torment Osiris felt to the lengths he went to have Sadie. I wasn’t a huge fan of Sadie’s personality in the previous books, but I did like her honest personality so when it came to Osiris and Sadie’s story I could not be more excited.

Sadie’s story is one that I could resonate with. Through her survival and her unexplained illness sometimes it ached to breath in her emotions while I read The Last Beginning. She is lonely and desperate and yet so strong willed. Fighting her past while gaining perspective on her future she must learn to trust Osiris when no one else can help her. For the most part of this story I felt teary.

The Last Begging definitely had more depth to it and out of all the women I feel as though Sadie had the most to lose, taken from mortality out of selfishness and a reason that Osiris could not deny himself she has suffered and learned and gained so much in the 150 years as a Phoenix and I to me this added so many layers to the story that to be were lacking with the other two stores [not that I did not enjoy those]

There isn’t a great deal I can tell you without spoiling the story and I can certainly recommend this series, as it has been one of my favorite unique adult series that I have ever read. I have had my favorites, Sadie being one of them but Rachel has created lasting memories and experiences which I wish to share through sharing this series with all readers. So take the plunge and check this series out because The Last Beginning was fabulous and I cannot wait to re-read this series at some point in the future.

★★★★.5

4 comments:

  1. You've made me shed a tear. I'm so glad you enjoyed the series and I can't thank you enough for this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I just need to get onto your other works now XD

      Delete
  2. Another great review. Congrats to Rachel on writing a fantastic series. :-)

    ReplyDelete